14 October 2008

Tales of a 4-Year-Old Superhero

Yesterday was, well, a bit challenging for my four-year-old son, Elijah (and me, too!).
Elijah has a Halloween costume of a certain superhero that he's worn A LOT since its purchase in September - more than any costume should be worn, let's just say! (Double-check your calendars, my friends, it's not even mid-October!!!!)
Due to the overuse of said costume, Mommy made a rule that it could only be worn in the morning OR afternoon - not all day, much to my son's chagrin...
Not too happy with this rule, Elijah presented his case of all-day costume wearing by arguing, crying, and fit-throwing. Consequence? No costume for the entire day. (FYI - consequence in 4-year-old's mind is equivalent to no food, water, or shelter.)
So the all-day battle began. Between crying, begging, and, yes, more fit-throwing, I asked myself: Should I be fighting this battle? Is this worth it?
All signs pointed to "yes," so we forged ahead. I marched forth with plenty of ammunition in the form of the word "no", and he proved to be a formidable opponent with plenty doses of: "Pleeeeeeeeeeease, Mommy, you can trust me. I will be a good boy."
I have to be honest here, folks, the day was miserable, but I stuck by my decision. And he stuck with his battle cry.
I am proud to say he did end up going the entire day without his beloved costume, bless his heart.
He suffered the consequences and, I think, learned his lesson.
It was a hard day for such a little guy, but he got through it. And I couldn't be more proud of him!

2 comments:

Aunt Tunnie said...

Mary-Is the costume getting worn out? I'm with Elijah, I think he should be able to wear it all day? He'll only be 4 once!

Love, Elijah's GREAT Aunt

Anonymous said...

This story reminds me of the day he kept begging you to swim. You stuck your ground and kept saying no. Until he gave up asking and got into the pool with all his clothes on! LOL I will never forget that. If you don't like the answer, just stop asking right? That's my motto.