18 October 2008

Evening Visit to the ER

This past Wednesday evening as we were finally getting the children wound down (yes, wound DOWN, not wound UP!), our dear little Callan (age - 2 years) took a hard spill off her bed and encountered the bottom portion of the chest of drawers with the back of her head. Ouch!!! Tears and blood followed suit, and, after a call to our pediatrician's office, Callan and I were off to the emergency room.
I must say that I thought our first visit to the ER on account of our children would have been with our rambunctious, 4-year-old boy who (truly) believes he possesses superhero powers! I was certainly mistaken!
All joking aside, sweet little Callan was a real trooper, never crying even once during our ER stay. She was the perfect patient, complaining only once to me as we waited alone for the local anesthetic to take effect on her head, sternly informing me, "Mommy, we need help. You're NOT the doctor."
Our emergency room visit was over in record time - we arrived at 8:40 pm and were pulling out of the parking lot by 10:00pm...I was thrilled!!!
Callan was as happy as can be as we departed, lovingly cradling her new teddy bear given to her on behalf of the hospital. She sucked her thumb with the utmost content as we drove home.
Upon returning home, I gave her some ibuprofen for the pain, tucked her in bed, and a good night's sleep followed.
A happy ending for the whole family!!!!

No comments: