20 June 2010

Remembering My Grandfather Today :: Father's Day 2010 ::


.: My grandfather, Popo :.

Born - October 3, 1922
Died - January 3, 2010

Today is the first Father's Day I will be celebrating without my grandfather, whom I lovingly called "Popo."

My grandfather died very unexpectedly this past January, just a mere five days before I gave birth to our fourth child, Naomi Genevieve.  He was a remarkable gentleman in every facet of his long life and a tremendously positive and active influence in my life.

I wrote the following essay below about my grandfather based on a quote from Sir Winston Churchill, and I feel that it gives an incredibly accurate snapshot of him.  Please read on...


weheartit.com

“Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.” - Sir Winston Churchill

As I ponder the above quote, my grandfather came to mind. He exhibited the absolute epitome of this wisdom through his conduct during his life.  One particular conversation between him and me comes to mind.
I vividly remember telling him about a phone conversation I had with a person who was a mutual acquaintance of ours, and I was referring to the rudeness I felt this certain person had conveyed to me.

Instead of summarily agreeing and indulging me in my gossip-like manner, he gently said to me, "He is always busy and on his way about doing things. He can be a hard person to grasp and understand at times."

I thanked my grandfather for listening to me and thought over his noble response. What made his response so noble was the fact that this person would never have any idea about this conversation between me and my grandfather, yet my grandfather still referred to him with utmost respect and compassion. Such a simple example of Sir Winston Churchill's advice, yet so illustrative and demonstrative of my grandfather's demeanor.


Happy Father's Day, Popo! I love you!

   

Extending ten thousand ((hugs)) to all,

No comments: